Super Chunky

On Wednesday the 8th, Nixon had his 6 week check up.  Before we left for the appointment Kyle and I were taking bets on how much he weighed.  I guessed 7-1/2lbs and Kyle guessed 8lbs.  We were both way off - this chunker came in at 9.29lbs!!!  He still seems so teeny I can't believe he would actually weigh that much, but you know what they say - Muscle weighs more than fat!  He's at the 16th percentile for weight and his head circumference is at the 14th percentile.  Dr. McElroy says he's developing perfectly!  As a breastfeeding mama this is all great news.  Since you can't measure ounces in a bottle the only way of knowing he's eating enough is his weight gain so I think we are very reassured!

His pediatrician was blown away with how strong Nixon already is.  When she turned him on his stomach to check his strength he started scooting away and nearly rolled over from tummy to back.  Apparently this is something that is typically seen at 4 months.  She was literally freaking out about it which had me laughing.  I see him do this stuff every day but never realized it was any different from any other baby, but she was literally screeching in the room "Look at this!! Look at this!!!!".  She was also impressed with how much he smiled and "talked" to her too.  What a show off!  Nixon's already flexing his muscles for the ladies.

All this pomp and circumstance was quickly halted as Mr. Man was given 3 shots.  He was so upset, as was his mommy.  My slight fear of needles had me looking away as he was given his shots and I felt so bad for him.  Dr. McElroy let us stay in the room to nurse for a while so that he could calm down which I thought was very sweet.


Thunder Thighs with his Tweety Band-Aid

One benefit to his newly acquired chubbiness is that we are now successfully switched over to cloth diapers.  My son's hippy status is now fully activated with his exclusive breastfeeding and cloth diaper wearing.  Also, 90% of his clothes are second hand which bumps him up an extra level.  He is quite admired in the granola crowd.  I'm having super awesome success with the pocket diapers and I am happy knowing that we are not only helping the environment but our budget.  Our wonderful friend and daycare provider, Kellie, also CD's her son and will be doing cloth for Nixon as well.  We are so lucky to have that benefit!  I prefer the One Size Pocket Diapers and have been having great success with them, not as much with prefolds and diaper covers.  I still need to build up my stock so if anyone is dying to get us gifts some of THESE would be great!

Anway...enough of diapers....

After his appointment Wednesday I had plans to meet up with my friend Sheila and her 2 Littles at Hoyt Park Pool.  It was a gorgeous day for it and I was so happy to be outside in the sunshine.  Nixon was really pooped from his shots so he slept the entire time which was a bit of a bummer.  I was really looking forward to having him be awake so we could dip his toes into the water, but I guess...we have all summer for that.  It was still enjoyable just walking around in the water and watching Sheila's kids splash around, daydreaming of the day I could help Nixon slide down the water slide and splash around.  Nolan and Angela are 4 and 1-1/2 respectively and they really enjoyed it and I highly recommend visiting that pool to any of my friends with kids.  

Of course I'm still not used to getting pictures of all our adventures, so the only pic I got of him at the Pool is in no way indicative of us being at a pool...for all you know we were in our crappy back yard.  I promise to get better and taking pictures!


Freshly Squeezed.  Snoozing in his Stroller

Pre-Wamlet Tales Blogging, we have had quite a few other adventures.  On May 14th we braved 38 degree weather and rain for the third annual Scooters GTG (Get Together).  It is a car show that Kyle and his friends host each year, held at Scooter's parents house.  Regardless of the weather there were over 200 cars showing.  Nixon was a trooper, bundled in many layers in his stroller which was covered with the plastic rain cover.  He was super toasty and dry and slept all 4 hours we were there.  Of course I failed to take any photos so here's one of him just because he's cute:



Last week we went to the Zoo with his Auntie Aimee and Cousin Kylee where this super unflattering photo of Nixon and I was taken:


The weather was absolutely amazing and it was just nice to wander around in the sunshine even though he is far to young to admire the monkeys throwing poo.  Someday Nixon...someday...I promise!  Kylee enjoyed feeding the goats and eating her ice cream!

This is my last weekend before I go back to work.  It is quite bittersweet.  I look forward to getting back into my old routine and trying to figure out the new one that will be developed with Nixon in our lives.  I'm excited to jump back in work but I will dearly miss our lounging around and snuggling each day.  Even as I write this he is tucked into his swing taking a nap making the cutest little squeeks that make me smile and it's hard knowing I won't be enjoying that as much in two days.  I don't understand how a week of vacation feels like a lifetime, but 6 weeks of maternity leave feels like 2 days.  It's all so surreal!  The first two days I'm back at work he will be home with his daddy, and then Wednesday through Friday he'll be at Kellie's.  This kind of gives me 2 days to slowly edge into work, and then work + daycare.  Wow...can you believe I have a son that will be in daycare?  I can't.  Who is this person???  

Comments

  1. Way to go Nixon! What a good eater :) Can't wait to squeeze those adorable cheeks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts