Cinco de Nixon

Hiya!  I'm 5 Months Old!
Nixon is 5 months old!  I'm so glad I started to document his month by month photos.  I just went through his newborn photos and I can not believe he was ever a 6lb 10oz pip squeek.  He looked so tiny and delicate, like I'd be scared to hold him yet I never remember feeling like he was teeny.  In fact, when he was born the first thing I said when I saw him was "OMG he's HUGE!" and the nurses laughed at me and said "Actually, he's pretty small!".

He's still quite a midget at 5 months.  He still wears 0-3 month onesies (you may notice this is the same blue onesie he wore in his 2 month pictures).  He is long though so his jammies are all 3-6 month clothes.  I finally just threw in the towel and took all his 0-3 month clothes out of rotation so that he can wear some of his cute new 3-6 and 6 month clothes, mostly because I bought a lot of them last season when they were on sale so all his adorable Halloween and fall (warm) clothes are in 6 months.  It's very strange to hear of a baby being so small, usually I hear about kiddoes who are 6 months and already in 9 months!  He has a friend Anderson in daycare who is 4 days older than him and he's already in 9+ month clothes and he's literally a head taller than Nixon.  My poor little guy!!!

These is my knees...one might say, The Bee's Knees.
 Nixon is so active, he loves to stand up with his mommy and daddy's help, roll all over the floor, pet his puppies, and play with all of his toys.  He absolutely loves toys. I never realized a baby as young as him would enjoy them so much.  He has a couple favorites, but like all things Wamlet, he goes with the flow and will play with anything.  His two favorites right now are his Sophie Giraffe and his this one Sassy brand toy that is actually supposed to be a toy for a high chair but we have it on his changing table to keep him entertained while we change his diapers.  He loves to suck on Sophie's face which looks pretty funny.


C'mere, I have a dirty joke to tell you!  (Sorry it's crooked)
 He is very aware of his surroundings.  He's starting to really be attracted to little details like grabbing for my glasses and earrings, feeling the rough feeling of daddy's face, and trying to pull of my wedding ring.  It's neat to see him discover these small details that to us just blend into life and we never really notice them. He has also noticed his feet and spends a lot of time trying to get those new friends into his mouth.  He has not been successful but I'm sure it's coming!

RAWR!!!  Evil Baby is here to take over the WORLD!!!
 Nixon loves to play peek-a-boo.  I've never heard a baby giggle as hard as he does when you play peek-a-boo with him.  It's so freaking adorable.  He also loves when I sing the 3 Little Pigs to him because I do it in crazy voices and I make his arms to motions.  We also read 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed and that makes him laugh so hard too.  I mean, I guess when you think about it, everything makes him laugh so I'm not sure why these stand out, but they do.

I have a softer side too.  How adorable am I?
He's starting to show a preference for snuggling blankets and those little security blankets with a stuffed animal head.  When he's very tired he'll lean his face into them and just close his eyes.  It's very sweet now but I'm sure in a year from now I'll be cursing said blankets and animals when we have to take them everywhere to avoid complete Melt Down.

*Snicker*  My mama's crazy.

We've started him on eating rice cereal and baby oatmeal.  Next week he'll try his first vegetable and the following week a fruit.  Today I'm making him Butternut Squash, Green Beans and Carrots so he'll probably start with one of them.  I've also started giving him his first tastes of water out of a cup which is funny that something so bland as water still gets a reaction out of him.  While it is fun to feed him, it's also annoying at the same time.  Nixon's favorite entertainment if toys are not available is blowing bubbles in his spit.  Now when you add the rice cereal or oatmeal into his mouth it's Bubble City.  It's so annoying that for every single spoonful I put into his mouth half comes out as he blows bubbles in his spit/cereal.  So then I have to scoop it off his face and then another half of that half comes out in bubbles.  It is cute and makes me giggle but it makes the task of feeding him much longer than it should be.

It's so crazy to think that since conception until 1 week ago he has survived entirely on my body.  It's quite amazing and I'm very proud that I've been able to keep a human alive for over a year entirely on the nutrients he received in the womb and while nursing.  It's almost sad that I'm introducing new foods to him and he's eating from other sources but it's also fun to know that he's growing so much that he can now start to eat regular food.

My goal is to still nurse him until he is 1 year old and I will be very proud if I make such a milestone.  It's not easy, and believe me the thought of stopping at 6 months has crossed my mind, but I know that it's best if I keep nursing up to a year so I'll keep on marching.  I think it's mostly difficult as a working mom to make sure I make time to pump twice a day and time it correctly so that I can feed him when I get home while still fulfilling all the needs of my career.

NINJA KICKS!
I know I've mentioned that everything makes him laugh, but one of the favorite times of the day with him is in the morning when I'm getting him dressed.  He has always giggled when I put a shirt on or take it off - its' like a big game to have it go over his face - but now he has learned to watch when I put lotion on my hands to rub on his body and face.  As soon as he see's me put lotion on my hands his face lights up in anticipation and then once I start rubbing it on his face and body he just loses it!  It's so freaking funny that something so simple just throws him into a giggle fest.  I should really try and record that, it's so hilarious, and as a "I hate mornings" person it really gives me something to look forward to.

Well, that's Nixon at month 5.  It's just crazy how much he is changing and I look forward to next month's update!

Comments

  1. How is it that he gets cuter every month?! I miss that little dude! And you too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts