Nixon's 6th Birthday: Ghostbusters Theme

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm very similar to Monica in Friends. I'm ALWAYS the hostess. Parties making me happy, and decorating for parties is a bit of an art form for me.

You also know that I'm an incredibly busy working mom who is in the middle of The Year of The Poor, so how do you throw a party for your son in the most cost effective way that is still adorable? Well my friends, use stuff from all over your house.

Fortunately for me, Nixon wanted a Ghostbuster Themed party, and we have a ton of Ghostbuster things laying around.

I created the invites myself and mailed them out to his 4 best friends. It was a small but intimate party, but lets be honest...five 6-year olds in my house is four too many! Wow are they loud and rambunctious!

I started laying the groundwork by searching the house for things we had on-hand. Ghostbuster lego car, action figures, Hot Wheels and artwork all fit the bill. I scoured Pinterest for free printables and images. I also printed out coloring book pages from the internet.

Ghostbuster Theme Party


With these things, I was able to create the decorations and activities!

I made two garlands that featured red and white bakers twine, ghost images I cut out and also the Ghostbusters logos. I found red and green tissue paper on clearance at Target and made tissue paper flowers for an added color pop.



I was at Home Depot gathering items to connect my rain barrel and picked up a giant roll of caution tape for a few bucks and wrapped that around doors and tables.



I bound the free printable coloring pages so the kids would have a coloring book activity. I also drew the ghost face on white plastic cups for "Ghost Bowling", we had a Build Your Own Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man activity that was stickier than I anticipated. I also had planned on a Ghost Hunting Adventure where I was going to hang ghost pictures all over the back yard and I bought the kids silly string, but it was 100% chance of rain, and it poured all day, so the silly string then became take-home gifts for the kids.







I made the cakes myself, but I bought the fondant decorations off of a seller on Etsy. They were perfect, but I'm a little mad at myself and how I placed the buildings. I should have separated them more, but live and learn.

Ghostbuster Theme Party, Ghostbuster Cake

Ghostbuster Theme Party, Ghostbuster Cake


The best part of the day was the FOOD! Nixon loves the original Ghostbusters and the new Girl Ghostbusters equally, and in the girl version, there's a ton of Chinese Food so I ordered Chinese from our local restaurant in town. The kids seemed to love it and us adults loved it even more!!! I had also stocked up on a ton of green food - thank goodness Easter had just wrapped up and there was a lot of green food in the clearance aisle!

In all, this party cost me about $150 to host, and that included decorations, food, cake and activities. I think it was a great investment, especially since Nixon still talks about how much fun he had. Happy 6th Birthday little buddy!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts