The Most Wonderful Time of the Year


My last post was right before Halloween so I still haven’t posted pics of my adorable fuzzy little Chewbacca.  Chewy and I went Trick-or-Treating twice this year.  We went out on Saturday night with friends of ours in the Washington Heights.  They did an amazing job for all the kids.  The neighborhood association blocks off all the streets and all the houses that participate go CRAZY with decorating, candy, costumes and themes.  There were tons of houses with projectors of scary movies playing, bars for the parents to get their treats, and the streets were so packed you felt like you were at a night club.

Baby Chewey Eating his First Candy
 We took a wagon for Nixon and our friend’s daughter Anna and we loaded it up with our cooler.  Nixon only went to about 10 houses and then when we took a little break he got to try his first piece of candy.  He had a Twix and a little packet of Swedish Fish. 

I think he had more fun seeing everyone’s dogs that were out and about.  He was going crazy trying to pet all the dogs.  Seriously, this kid thinks he’s more puppy than boy.

We were walking up to one house to trick-or-treat and there was a family in front of us that was all dressed up as Star Wars characters.  Mom and dad were Princess Lea and Luke Skywalker, and their two boys were Darth and a Storm Trooper.  I offered them Nixon as another prop for the night!  Next year I will definitely dress up too.  I was the odd man out not dressed since this neighborhood gets so into it.
Who Needs Toys?


We spent much of November trying to get back into our new life without Gramma.  Unfortunately Kyle was on nights so we had to escape the house most of the weekend to let him sleep.  We wandered stores, met up with friends, and spent a day Christmas shopping with Gramma Terri.  I got sick 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and then just as that went away I got sick again the day after Thanksgiving. 

Brunch at the Kender's, Nixon Trying out Dan's Brewer's Gear

I cooked for the family this year at my Aunt Vickie’s.  I was pretty nervous since this is a task that has historically been handled by my gramma and my mom.  The menu was a turkey with my mom’s stuffing recipe, my mom’s homemade cranberry sauce, bacon herb mashed potatoes, sweet potato mash with a maple pecan glaze, green beans with shallots, wild mushrooms and walnuts, pumpkin trifle and my gramma’s Maine Pie.  I’m happy to report that after a lot of stress and work everything came out perfectly!  It may have been the best cooked meal ever, but I’m partial. 

Nixon at Thanksgiving, who knows what he was mad about?
One thing I really enjoyed while I was up there was being able to meet up with my friend Rabihah.  She and I were close in high school and don’t get to see each other much, but when we do it’s like a day hasn’t passed.  I also get a kick out of watching my grampa smile and admire Nixon as he runs all over his house and destroys it.

SHARK MITTENS!!!!

One cool thing that we did this month is buy a new-to-us car.  We still have the Lexus but it needs some work.  We’ll take it to the shop this week and once it’s fixed Kyle and I can duke it out as to who drives which car.  The new ride is a 2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 4motion.  It’s fully loaded, heated seats, moon roof, leather, and AWD. It’s also 5-speed which is what I prefer anyway.  It drives very nice and it’s got so much room in the back for Nixon’s stroller and whatever else we have to cram in there.

Christmas Celebrations with the Tollefsen and Nance Families!  Great Gift Ben!

I’m preparing for the Holidays and this year, regardless of being a crap sandwich will be a great Christmas.  Last year we weren’t able to do much of anything for anyone for Christmas after having Nixon so I’m more excited to get presents for friends kids.  We are also able to host our New Year’s Eve party again this year which means a ton to me because I love hosting but last year due to finances we weren’t able to do it.  We are getting Nixon a fish for Christmas.  Seems like a strange gift but he doesn’t need anything and he really gets excited when we go places and there is a fish tank.  I think we’ll get him like 5 or 6 guppies or tetras instead of 1 fish so that he can see them swim all over. 

We Met Santa at the Grocery Store in Luxemburg this year!  Love Small Town America!

Comments

Popular Posts