Making Money for Spending Money

It's marketing 101; you've got to spend money to make money. The same is true in the Year of the Poor, however the key statement is that you've got to spend money to earn money.

I've engaged with a few apps that are helping me earn money on items or stores where I'd spend money anyway. Please note that the links I have in this post help me earn a few bucks if you click off and actively join, but at no additional cost to you.

The main app I use on a regular basis is Ibotta - This app is pretty simple to use even though when you start it seems overwhelming. Once you create your account, you can add favorite stores. From there, any time you're preparing your shopping list you can visit your Ibotta account and scroll through to see if there are coupons for products you need. The great thing about this site is that you can get rebates for products you would already buy without a specific brand like milk, fruits or veggies.



My local PickNSave grocery store frequently runs a $1.99 coupon for a gallon of milk. When I combine that with the Ibotta $0.50 rebate for a gallon of milk I can score a gallon of milk for $1.49 - that's $2.00 off a gallon of milk! In my house, filled with growing boys we go through 4 - 6 gallons of milk a week which could be $8-$12 I'm saving!

When you get home from the store, scan your products you saved rebates for and scan your receipt! In the case of PickNSave they link my rewards card so I don't even have to scan the receipt.

The next site I frequently use is Ebates. Ebates is great because you can earn pretty large rebates back on purchases you'd make regardless. A great example of using Ebates to my advantage is over the holidays I wanted to get Kyle an AppleTV for Christmas since our 1st generation AppleTV had just died. I ran to Target on Black Friday, where they had it on sale for 20% off. Before I bought, I hopped on to Target.com to see what it was online, because I've found out very frequently things I buy in-store are much cheaper online. Well, what do you know, it was 30% off online, plus when you buy online you get 1% back from Ebates, and I get 5% off and free shipping for being a RedCard member. BOOM!!!!



One thing to remember about Ebates is that there are different deals when you shop mobile vs desktop, and you only get your Ebates if you enter the online store through the Ebates app when you're on mobile.

When you are shopping on desktop, you can download this little widget that alerts you when you're on an Ebates site and you can activate your rebate from that widget - it's been very helpful when you don't realize it would be an Ebate site!

The last tool I use is the Raise app. Raise is marketplace where people can buy and sell gift cards at a discount. This is great when you are making larger investments like at Target or Home Depot.



I recently bought a $100 Kohls gift card for 8% off. This will be great for when we have birthday gifts to buy for a few reasons: I got 8% off, I can use a 30% off coupon with my Kohl's charge, AND Kohl's.com is an Ebates site. See what I did there??? I'm a money saving genius!

I will definitely be buying larger gift cards for large home purchases to get an extra discount.

I have Ibotta and Ebates linked to my PayPal so getting paid is super easy!

Check out these helpful sites and comment below how you saved money!

Comments

Popular Posts